Saturday, 10 April 2010

Chaos - Do you really want to see my studio?

Okay I know many of you have seen people's studios and I've always been reluctant to show mine. Because it is always in a perpetual mess, total chaos, but my children have been sorting it out for me, labelling special cubby holes, putting all my inks together, powders together, glues, mediums, what have you.

The studio is also serving as a store room for when I shut down my shops, so there are often props etc lying around the place. Below is the entrance way from the hallway in our home, it's a cubby hole of various arts and craft books.


Here I have my plastic bags full of papers, stickers, etc all themed onto wooden rimu racks.


Another view with some of the props that came from my shop in Mt Eden.



Some of my toy theatres above. Do you like my walls, they are a bit in your face? I got them painted into red and turquoise, very vibrant, I wanted colour stimulation. My family was saying NOooooo, then they liked it.


More cubbyholes.



My ribbon rack and Rimu storage unit. And here's another one underneath.



A better view I think. Those are baskets full of fabric scraps, ribbons, wool, silk flowers, embroidered motifs, in fact anything soft.



More cubbyholes (didn't I say that before?), oh well, here's the heater too (it's autumn now).


And the work table, which I have not tidied up. I mean, who has a clear and tidy work table? No one right? So there you go just a glimpse into my working surroundings, chaotic to say the least.

3 comments:

Tristan Robin said...

I think your studio is a dream! Mine is more sterile looking - not as inspirational.

Sans! said...

Thank you for sharing this! I am one of those who look peeking into studios :). Yours is sheer luxury! All that space and ALL those materials! Yes, I love your walls. I love to accent walls with reds. Almost always work :).

Paula said...

Ahh the comments are too kind, do you think I work in there? It's often hard for me, as the dining room table is much bigger and the rest of the family is around. I feel too lonely in my studio. It's only if I have serious business to finish that I go and hibernate in there.