Thursday, 1 April 2010
Amazon
Demita a client of mine has given me (painted me) a wee small gift. It is so lovely of her.
She is an illustrator water colourist and mainly illustrates fairies, angels, mermaids and biblical scenes.
She has done a beautiful job. Anyway she has made me this work as being symbolic of the 'mythological' me as she calls it. It is an amazon. So she has made my head swell a bit (lol).
What really puzzled me was that I had spent the weekend learning all about amazon warrior women, and she had no idea I was researching the topic, and viola she makes me this.
If you are not in the know of what an amazonian is, don't worry I didn't know until a couple of years ago (Wonder Woman apparently was based off one of them). This was done completely from her imagination, with no pose from me .... can't quite see myself crouching that, ummm immodestly?? Her real attention to detail was the add on of my dimples under my eyes, errgh I hate those dimples.
But for those that like tid bits of information, here you go, these are just web references that I found in my research (these women are good for in comics):
Answers.com: Greek mythology. A member of a nation of women warriors reputed to have lived in Scythia, were around the Baltic Sea.
Ariosto's Orlando Furioso contains a country of warrior women, ruled by Queen Orontea; the epic describes an origin much like that in Greek myth, in that the women abandoned by a band of warriors and unfaithful lovers, rallied together to form a nation from which men were severely reduced, to prevent them from regaining power. [um, I'm brought up in the traditional conservative patriarchal family, so this is not me].
Columbia Encyclopaedia: The amazons had a matriarchal society, in which women fought and governed while men performed the household tasks. [Okay that is a bit too close to home – not the fighting but I've got a house husband].
Wordsmith Words: a tall, aggressive, strong willed woman [Okay not really tall, unless I have high shoes on and then yes; aggressive - no, but I don't back down if bullied and will stand up to men or women who may threaten me or diss me; strong willed - does that mean I like my own way and I'm always right? - ah then yes, LOL who am I kidding?].
Labels:
Art,
Water Colours



No comments:
Post a Comment