"The Morbidity of Freedom"
60cm x 60cm
Freedom ... and for today lest we forget.
This mixed media collage art piece is about the spirit of Gallipoli. That is ... the deaths of our soldiers, the blood that was shed, the sheer ugliness of war ... bombs, fire, trenches, mud, dirt clods, the soldiers, their fatigue, thirst, gritty eyes, sweat, the smell of metal, the smell of death, you can almost feel you are there.
The morbidity for the freedom of Constantine revisited ... but not reconquested.
The poppies resemble the memorial of the Anzacs who died, defeated. We won the war, but lost the battle of Gallipoli.
I became a finalist in the Gallipoli Art Awards.
Here is the artwork I submitted.
It is one of my gory pieces, I find it quite ugly, but that is the reality of the battle for those ANZACs involved.
Further information www.gallipoli.com.au/Artprize_2007.html


No comments:
Post a Comment